Data Services Manager
Classified Title: Library Services Manager
Salary: $67,989 - $93,458
Location: Homewood Campus
Resume Required for Application: Yes
Contact: Talent Acquisition 443-997-5100
The Data Services Manager manages the operations of the JHU Data Management Services (DMS)
and Geographical Information Systems (GIS) unit including: a) team of four data management
specialists and three GIS specialists that provide data management planning, training, archiving and
geospatial data services and support to researchers across Johns Hopkins University, and b) new and
ongoing collaboration and partnerships with other departments and units across JHU. In particular,
the Manager must work closely with the Sheridan Libraries’ Academic Liaisons and the Digital
Research and Curation Center and the Welch Medical Library.
The Sheridan Libraries and University Museums are strongly committed to diversity. A strategic goal of the Libraries and Museums is to work toward achieving diversity when recruiting new staff and promoting existing staff. The Libraries and Museums prize initiative, creativity, professionalism, and teamwork. For information on the Sheridan Libraries, visit www.library.jhu.edu. For information on Evergreen Museum and Library and Homewood Museum, visit www.museums.jhu.edu.
JHU Data Services Team and Service Operations Management
Data Services Planning and Development
- Recruits, trains, and supervises team of four data management specialists and three GIS specialists
and experts, including goal setting, performance management, and development.
- Promotes a culture of continuous improvement.
- Establishes and documents policies and service level expectations.
- Oversees benchmarking and ongoing assessment of consulting, training, archiving and geospatial
services to inform service development.
- Coordinates with technical staff providing and supporting the relevant infrastructure and
- Directs marketing activities for the unit by monitoring ongoing outreach to constituencies,
assessing outreach efforts, and planning for regular and targeted marketing and communication
efforts to grow service use.
- Manages all reporting and communications on the unit’s progress with the Associate Dean for
- Research Data Management.
- Works with Associate Dean for Research Data Management on budgeting, contractual and legal
Provision of Data Services
- Collaborates with the Associate Dean for Research Data Management and facilitates team
planning to shape long-term strategic goals and identify annual top initiatives and projects.
- Manages scoping and development of annual initiatives drawing on project management best
practices and planning to achieve success.
- Oversees progress of all projects and services and supports project teams. Manages ongoing
development and growth of the Data Services training and outreach programs, identifying
relevant and impactful training topics, delivery mechanisms, and resourcing needs.
- Directs ongoing development of the Data Services unit and various informational and analytic
resources available through websites and online resources.
- Seeks and builds partnerships with other service units across Johns Hopkins to maintain and
grow the integration of services in keeping with the One University strategic goal.
- Stays abreast of trends and issues in data management planning, sharing, access and curation
including data management expectations and policies across funders and publishers.
- Partners with the Associate Dean for Research Data Management to develop and manage
- Manages inquiries from researchers for data management services and support. Provides
consultative support to PIs including evaluation of data planning needs, assessing short and long
term options and benefits, catering planning to specific granting agency requirements, and editing
data management plans.
- Identifies data standards, metadata standards, best practices for data management, etc. to
continuously build expertise and improve provision of service.
- Maintains knowledge on a broad range of data repositories including their submission, Intellectual
- Property, and use arrangements, and provide guidance on repository selection for deposit.
- Collaborates with others in the library to effectively communicate services to faculty, researchers,
Master’s degree in Health Sciences, Science, Engineering or Library Science. A minimum of five
(5) years combined of library, information technology, informatics, geospatial and/or scientific
research experience. Two years (2) years of management or supervisory experience preferred.
Special Skills and Knowledge
- Knowledge of data repository applications, platforms, and technologies, particularly the Open
Science Framework and the Fedora repository platform.
- Demonstrated understanding of the research data lifecycle from data acquisition to curation and
the tools used to manage those data throughout the process.
- Experience managing relationships and/or partnerships with other institutions or vendors a plus.
- Experience leading and managing service, product or project teams required. Experience working
with data management and/or curation required.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, strong team-orientation, and professional attitude.
- Clear and consistent communicator skilled in networking and outreach efforts.
- Good listener and skilled negotiator with a high degree of customer orientation. Strong writing
- Highly organized and capable of managing multiple projects simultaneously.
- Strong project planning, management, and execution skills.
- Must be self-motivated, pro-active, willing to take on new challenges and solve problems.
NOTE: The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the HR Business Services Office at 443-997-5100. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711.