Classified Title: Program Coordinator
Salary: $18.86 - $25.95 hourly
School: University Administration
Location: Homewood Campus
Resume Required for Application: Yes
Area of Interest: Administrative
Contact: Central Talent Acquisition Office 443-997-5100
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Zero Waste Event Coordination
- Manage the day to day operations of the zero-waste event support program
- Receive, schedule and bill event set ups
- Communicate with event planners including promoting and creatively incentivizing the planning of zero waste events to event planners
- Manage the Homewood Recycling Program waste bin inventory including maintaining records of counts, locations, cleaning and assembly of bins and proper signage.
- Continually evaluate the zero-waste event support program to improve all aspects of service and efficiency
- Track and report zero waste event metrics
Marketing and outreach
- Develop marketing and outreach materials for various levels of the university community
- Design outreach materials including flyers, bin signage, PowerPoint presentation templates, Facebook events, etc.
- Support Homewood Recycling’s various social media platforms
- Coordinate with the Office of Sustainability’s outreach coordinator to promote and cross-market Homewood Recycling programs.
- Supervise student employees including providing direction and training to staff and managing time reporting.
- Gather data for and assist in budgetary, grant, statistical, financial and other requested reports.
- Gain understanding of the operational and administrative processes of the campus recycling program to be able to respond to inquiries and emergent situations as needed.
- Provide back up to Recycling Manager as needed including receiving, responding to and assigning recycling requests and vendor service calls.
Furniture Reuse Program
- Provide overall program coordination for the Furniture Reuse Program at the JHU Homewood Campus, including determining priorities, maintaining a safe workspace, purchasing and care of equipment, tools and supplies
- Oversee the collection, inventory, marketing, distribution, donation and disposal of furniture and equipment.
- Communicate with internal customers including discussing furniture needs, scheduling furniture visits and deliveries, and promoting and creatively incentivizing the use of the Furniture Reuse Program
- Work with Facilities & Real Estate, Design & Construction and other campus units to identify opportunities for reclamation of furnishings, fixtures, and building materials during office moves as well as remodeling and construction projects.
- Develop and maintain relationships with external businesses and organizations that serve as outlets for furniture; coordinates sales, donation and recycling of furniture items through these networks.
- Research, negotiate with, consult with, and direct outside vendors.
- Track and report furniture collection, distribution, revenue, and cost avoidance data.
- Move and organize furniture in JHU warehouses and other storage facilities.
Other Related Duties
- Support other Homewood Recycling Program initiatives.
- Assist with the monitoring of cleanliness of all docks and Homewood Recycling Program spaces on campus.
- Perform other related work as assigned.
High School Diploma/GED required. Bachelor’s degree in Environmental Studies, Sustainability, Business, Marketing, Public Administration, or a related field preferred. Additional education may substitute for required experience, to the extent permitted by the JHU equivalency formula. Five years of related experience required.
Special Knowledge and Skills:
- Effective written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Highly organized, detail oriented, flexible and excels at multitasking.
- Must have a valid driver’s license with a good driving record.
- Must be able to remain in a stationary position for extended periods of time.
- Ability to operate a computer and/or other office equipment.
- Ability to frequently communicate with others. Must be able to exchange accurate information in these situations.
- Ability to move about the office and campus.
- Occasionally lifting, carrying objects weighing 50 lbs. or less.
- Ability to work in various conditions and during non-traditional shifts and days.
- Excellent understanding of, passion for and experience with sustainable materials management concepts and best practices.
- Experience partnering with non-profit agencies, organizations, and businesses related to waste reduction and sustainability.
- Ability to maintain effective working relationships.
- Knowledge of and experience using marketing principles and strategies.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office programs, including Excel, Access, and Outlook.
- Proficiency in suite of Adobe Creative software.
- Experience designing, implementing and evaluating projects.
- Experience in a higher education setting.
NOTE: The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the HR Business Services Office at 443-997-5100. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711.