Classified Title: Academic Services Specialist
School: Homewood Student Affairs
Location: Homewood Campus
Resume Required for Application: Yes
Area of Interest: Administrative
Under the leadership of the Executive Director of the Homewood Career Center, the career center is
central in shifting the institution towards a model of career preparedness in which all Johns Hopkins
students integrate their career preparation into their academic experience with the same pursuit of
excellence – distinguishing themselves as the “talent of choice.”
The mission of the career center at Johns Hopkins University is to:
- Provide all students and alumni the experiences, knowledge, skills and tools to make informed
career decisions and to prepare and market themselves for their post-graduation pursuits.
- Close the gap between what employers seek in graduates and what students/alumni come equipped
- Orchestrate university-wide connections to build the “best possible” career ready network.
- Build enduring career readiness capabilities – those that last beyond first destinations.
- Be a catalyst for lifetime alumni engagement.
Reporting to the Executive Director of the Career Center, the Technology Specialist provides
comprehensive technical support to all systems in the Career Center to include: our client
relationship management (CRM) system, Handshake, the Career Center website and all career
center online resources. The Technology Specialist uses technology to collect, analyze, and report on
data to be used in the strategic development of recruiting relationships, university partnerships, and
skill sets for undergraduate and graduate students in the Krieger School of Arts and Sciences, and
the Whiting School of Engineering. The individual in this role must be detail oriented and data
driven and motivated to fully leverage the data analytics and report building offered through the
center’s CRM, Handshake.
- Troubleshooting user problems, researching solutions and
working with the vendor to resolve problems.
- Negotiate with and advocate for updates to Handshake
software with the vendor.
- Test software updates to determine changes have been integrated in
software updates. Train and provide guidance to staff on updates.
- Create reports to extract key data elements that will be used in making decisions about student and
- This position will also respond to requests from and provide data to the
Whiting School of Engineering (WSE) and the Krieger School of Arts and Sciences (KSAS).
- Reporting provided by this position to WSE and KSAS will support academic departments
- Manage all on-line resources (career related, webinar software, etc.) and maintain relationships with
- Gather usage data on all forms of career center technology and makes recommendations
regarding technology we should keep and technology we should not renew.
- Identify and resolve
problems users have with access, identify gaps in online resource needs and represent the Career
Center during demos of new online resources. Users of the system include staff, students, alumni,
employers and faculty.
- Manage and update the career center website.
- Coordinate webpage development with career center
team members and/or contractor.
- Collaborate with HSA website colleagues to ensure site is updated,
graphics are incorporated and website is student friendly.
- Track website usage and report to
leadership team monthly on most popular page hits, etc.
- High school diploma required.
- Bachelor’s degree in Higher Education or similar discipline highly desired
Note:Additional education may substitute for required experience, to the extent permitted by the JHU
- Three years administrative/academic related experience required.
- One - two years of experience
working in a higher education setting.
Additional Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Positive and professional written and oral expression is essential.
- Computer proficiency—required skills in developing and managing excel spreadsheets, and
manipulating and reporting data through the use of data analysis tools like pivot tables.
- Ability to build reports and extract data required by university stakeholders.
- Attention to detail.
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- The capacity to work
independently and collaboratively within a team environment are crucial.
- Experience working in or managing a client relationship management (CRM) system like
- Ability to create visually appealing presentations and infographics using Microsoft PowerPoint,
Adobe Creative Suite (CS), other presentation platform.
- Knowledge of and proficiency in Blackboard, Adobe Connect, Go To Meeting/Webinar software.
NOTE: The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the HR Business Services Office at 443-997-5100. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711.