School: University Administration
Location: Homewood Campus
Resume Required for Application: No
Area of Interest: Support
Contact: Central Talent Acquisition Office 443-997-5100
Cleans office buildings, laboratories, classrooms, and/or outside areas. Moves furniture,
appliances and/or equipment.
Essential Job Functions:
- Cleans, sweeps, vacuums, and polishes floors. Uses various tools, equipment, and cleaning
materials to include, but not limited to hand and power scrubbing and polishing equipment,
small and large vacuum cleaners, large commercial type buffer, broom, dust brush, dust pan, wet
and dry mop, bucket mop wringer, special cleaning solution, and chemical cleaners.
- Cleans identified or assigned areas/spaces with required cleaners and disinfecting solutions.
- Cleans walls, windows, window blinds and shades, ceilings, and doors. May work from ladders
- Replenishes towels, soap, toilet tissue, linen, and other supplies as required.
- Inspects exterior and interior of building for service issues and report all damages, malfunctions
and needed repairs to supervisor.
- Removes trash from assigned areas. Moves furniture, miscellaneous equipment, supplies and/or
recyclable materials, empties large and small trash containers, removes miscellaneous debris and
discarded building materials such as broken plaster, wood, and brick.
- Removes recyclable materials and maintains appropriate separation.
- Transports biohazard containers to designated area.
- Removes snow, ice and debris from building entrances, sidewalks and other areas as required
- Maintains equipment and work areas in clean and orderly condition.
- Observes safety precautions and properly uses equipment and products.
- Sets up and removes furniture, miscellaneous equipment and supplies required for meetings and
- Performs other duties as assigned.
High school education or equivalent preferred. One year or more years of experience preferred.
Special Knowledge and Skills:
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to read and write such as to be able to read labels on cleaning and detergent materials,
disinfecting solutions, and so forth.
- Ability to operate large powered vacuum cleaners, cleaning and buffing equipment.
- Ability to interact and/or work with faculty, students, staff, and visitors in a respectful and
- Ability to lift, carry or otherwise move and position objects and materials weighing up to 50 lbs.
- Ability to stand, walk or otherwise move about campus on a continuous basis.
- Ability to ascend/descend stairs on a regular basis in order to sufficiently clean them.
- Valid Driver’s license preferred.
NOTE: The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the HR Business Services Office at 443-997-5100. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711.