Internal Applications: Frequently Asked Questions

As a current employee, how can I see available jobs at JHU?

You are able to search for and apply to open positions as an internal applicant in two ways:

  • Click the "Search for jobs (current employees only)" button at the top of this page.
  • Go to and use your JHED ID and password to log in if necessary. Under the HR category, select "Jobs @ JHU." 

It is essential that you apply as an “internal candidate” by using one of the above two methods. You will be able to apply for jobs more easily because much of your information can be automatically entered for you, and we need to know that you bring JHU experience to each position that you apply for.

What is the definition of minimum qualifications?

The "minimum qualifications" an applicant must possess are qualifications for the position that have been established, in advance, by the Compensation department.

Is the application and interview process confidential?

Yes, employees are not required to discuss the submission of an application, or an invitation to interview, with their current supervisors. Talent Acquisition cannot discuss internal applications with others outside the search committee for the specific position to which the employee has applied. 

Can current JHU employees apply for posted career opportunities?

  • If you are a full-time, part-time, or limited employee, hired directly into or transferred into a new position, you are eligible to apply for posted career opportunities after twelve months of continuous employment in your current job.
  • If you are a full-time, part-time, or limited employee and have been in your current position for less than twelve months, your application must include a signed letter on department letterhead or email from your current supervisor, releasing you from the twelve-month obligation in your current role.
  • If you are a casual employee, you may apply for posted career opportunities without a release letter.  
  • Employees in Corrective Actions Plan who are not in good standing can apply for posted career opportunities. 

I am a JHU employee; however, I accidentally applied to a position as an external candidate. How can I ensure my application will be considered as internal?

Please contact the Talent Acquisition Office at and provide the job title and requisition number. Your inquiry will be forwarded to the associated Recruiter for review. 

Do I complete the entire application and submit a new resume, or do you keep that information on file from my previous application?

You should create your internal career profile and complete the entire application. Attach your updated resume to include all related experience and your current JHU position. We need your existing documents (resume, associated certificates, or certifications) for each application to ensure it can be considered for the recruitment process. All application referrals are done electronically, and we want to be able to supply the hiring manager with your most current information. 

How can I see the status of my application?

When you apply for a position, you will receive an email notifying you that your application has been received. To track the status of your applications, you can log in to your internal candidate account at any time. Click Jobs@JHU and select Job Applications to view your current application status and see where your application is in the process. If you have spoken with a recruiter/hiring manager and would like a status on your application after the interview, please reach out directly to the Recruiter. 

If I receive a job offer, how much notice should I give to my department?

To separate in good standing, Support Staff members must give a minimum of 2 weeks’ notice to their current supervisor. Senior Staff members must give a minimum of 4 weeks’ notice. Some departments are more flexible, depending on the nature of the job, and notice may be negotiated between the current and future supervisors. Visit Resignations to review JHU's associated policy. 

Do I have to undergo a 120-day probationary period?

Yes, all staff positions have a 120-day probationary period. If at any time during this period you require clarification or training, or experience other issues, please address them immediately with your direct supervisor. 

Do I need to attend general orientation again?

No, internal transfers are not required to attend general orientation. 

If I accepted a new position with JHU, will my benefits change?

If you are a casual employee, transitioning into a full-time, part-time, or limited position, you will become eligible to enroll in Benefits with JHU.  If your new position is lateral to your current role, in most cases, you will remain with your current benefits status. Changes to benefits may emerge based on your new position, role, and range. For more details or inquire directly with the benefits department, please visit Benefits & Worklife

How do I save my application if I do not have time to finish submitting it?

If you fill out a portion of the application and need to stop, located near the top right-hand of the internal application page, click save, and you will have an option to Continue Applying and can finish your application where you left off. The incomplete application can be found under the tab Saved Applications.

If a position you are applying to becomes inactive, you will not be permitted to submit your application.